Backend Engineer (Python) - Istanbul
Plentific is one of UK’s fastest growing technology start-ups. We provide homeowners, landlords and property managers a transactional marketplace to find and hire repairs, maintenance and home improvement professionals.
The engineering team sits at the centre of everything we do at Plentific and is constantly tackling challenging problems, such as online payments, quoting, invoicing, booking, search / scoring algorithms, ETL, data pipelines, in-app messaging, real-time notifications and fraud prevention. Our backend engineers mostly work with Python and Django on an increasingly more service-oriented architecture. In the backend we also use Django REST Framework, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, AWS, Amazon Redshift, Kubernetes, Docker, Redis, Celery, Pandas, Numpy, Scrapy, Git with Zenhub, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Logstash and lots of raw SQL for analytics. We have a very large but clean code base as we put significant emphasis on design patterns, code readability, testability, maintainability and extendability.
We’re looking for an experienced Python/Django engineer to join the engineering team. You’ll be working alongside a highly technical and motivated team and report to the technical co-founder. You would be expected to apply fundamental engineering and mathematical skills to solve problems and overcome challenges, not just develop code. For people with the right mindset, this frame of mind provides an intellectually stimulating environment.
You will be working from our newly established Istanbul office and be part of a distributed team of engineers working from the UK and Italy in addition to Turkey. There will be plenty of opportunities to travel and collaborate face to face.
- Work with product owners, product managers, user interface designers and other software engineers to write technical documents that identify software project requirements
- Write well-formulated, testable and readable code using appropriate software design patterns
- Design, build and maintain APIs, microservices and data pipelines
- Design, normalise and optimise relational databases
- Write complex SQL queries to get data from the database
- Optimise APIs and database queries to improve speed of execution
- Participate in code reviews
- Debug and fix bugs across our applications
- Review, maintain and refactor existing code to meet the requirements for improved or new features
- Write technical documentation of code, algorithms and APIs
- Help in drafting of end-user manuals
- 1+ years software development experience using Python and Django
- Strong computer science fundamentals such as data structures, algorithms, discrete mathematics, software design patterns
- Experience in relational database management and SQL query optimisation
- Passion for writing clean, modular, well-commented, readable and reusable code
- Ability to think out of the box with a can-do attitude to get things done efficiently
- Excellent communication skills with ability to articulate technical concepts in plain English
- BSc (at least 2:1) essential in computer science, engineering, computational physics, mathematics or another field with strong computational curriculum. MSc/PhD in similar subjects desirable
- No military obligation for male candidates or postponed for at least 2 years
- Competitive compensation package
- A new 15’’ MacBook pro and supporting hardware of your choice
- Learning and development fund